Thursday 31 May 2012

Jim Packer - one of God's giants

From Mike:

Jim Packer is a hero of mine.  His book “Knowing God” was the first Christian book I ever read and the chapter on what it means to be God’s children was used by the Lord to change my life forever.  When, as an undergraduate, my faith was in tatters, it was Packer’s book “Among God’s Giants” that introduced me to the Puritans and opened a window that let in bright light and fresh air into my cramped and stuffy little heart.  That was another book that the Lord used not just to change my life but to pick it up off the floor.
So watching this interview with Jim Packer was a treat for me.  As he talks about his own conversion, his passion to go deep in his walk with Christ, and reflects on this experience of being kicked out of the Episcopalian Church in the States – simply for being true to orthodox Christianity – you realise that He is himself one of God’s giants.  We have much to learn from him.