Friday 13 July 2012

See What You're a Part Of

It was obvious really. As I had cycled to church, I must therefore be a student.

Even when well in to my late thirties, at my last church I was regularly invited to join the student meeting after the main service. Well-intentioned no doubt. But all those who invited me could see was the cycling gear, my boyish good looks and put two and two together and had assumed I was a student. I'd been pigeon-holed.

We all do it to other people. But as believers in the workplace we often pigeon-hole ourselves.

Mark Greene of the London Institute of Contemporary Christianity describes the problem like this. 'We lead ourselves to believe that really holy people become missionaries, moderately holy people become pastors, and people who are not much use to God get a job.'

So I work in life insurance, dealing with numbers and project managers all day. Therefore, I am not much use to God.

Your turn now, please delete as appropriate: I work in education/health/finance/engineering/ sales/leisure/government/retail/administration, therefore I am not much use to God.

In last Sunday's teaching on The Parable of the Weeds (Matt 13:24-30) we learned that Jesus tells us otherwise. The good seed (God's family – us!) has been sown across the whole field (the world). We're growing amongst the weeds to bear fruit for God. That's wherever we land and in whatever situation He places us in. No holy huddles here please!

We don't belong in a pigeon-hole. We belong where God places us and that's where we can bear fruit for Him.

Let's try again, please rejoice as appropriate: I work in education/health/finance/engineering/ sales/leisure/government/retail/administration, therefore I am much use to God.

See what you're a part of?

Further Reading: