Friday 1 November 2013

Ephesians 1:15-23 RAID

Last Sunday's talk on Ephesians 1:15-23 reminded us that it is often easier to simply know about God rather than actually know God.  This is often reflected in our prayers.

Later, as one member of our small group summarised, we're in danger of just praying for a nice life with God rather than a real life with God.

This got me thinking about the work I do.

I work with project teams – people who deliver projects.  And project teams like to keep things call RAID logs.   A RAID log is simply a document that identifies any external factors that may influence how the project turns out:

  •  RISKS – things that may happen.
  • ASSUMPTIONS –  things that have already happened.
  • ISSUES – things that are happening.
  • DEPENDENCIES – things that need to happen.


Suppose my salvation were to be managed as a project using a RAID log.  What would it say about my relationship with my Father and therefore my prayer life?

It would be very patchy indeed.

Certainly there would be lots of stuff recorded under Risk and Issues – reflecting my hopes and fears; prejudices and passions.  It would detail all the stuff I'm asking God for; all the stuff I need his help with.  All the 'nice life with God' prayer requests.

But what about Assumptions and Dependencies?  The 'real life with God' prayer requests?  In reality, these sections would be sparse.  The section headed Assumptions should be full of all the things that I should be thanking God for; Jesus, Grace, Salvation, Creation, etc,.  And under the heading Dependencies, well this is where I need to learn more about God and know him better.  To listen to him and know his plans and purposes for me. 

I need to get my RAID log updated – I need to get praying in Ephesians 1:17!