Wednesday 4 June 2014

Want help getting the Bible open with a friend? Read on...

Ever felt you were missing out? One by one, more and more of my Christian friends are starting to read a gospel one-to-one with a friend or colleague, with the simple aim of introducing them to Jesus. Deep down, I'd love to be doing that too. I'm pretty sure that if only my colleagues read Jesus' words for themselves, they'd completely change their minds about him. But I'm nervous of how they'd react if I suggested it to them, and I just can't see how I'd ever get started.

So I'm planning to spend some time with someone whose enthusiasm for this sort of thing is infectious. I want to ask him how to get over that first hurdle. I want to hear how he goes about it and what material he uses. And I want to hear his stories of how, time and time again, over many years, he's seen God calling his friends and colleagues to faith in Jesus, by the simple act of reading a gospel with them.

On 13th June, we have a not-to-be-missed opportunity to spend an evening with Richard Borgonon, an insurance executive in the City of London, quizzing him on why he has found this to be so effective and why he now spends half his week in sixteen one-to-ones. He's co-authored some material that he talks about below. This material has proved so popular it is now being sold around the world and being translated in Chinese.



One other thing. In January, we decided that the 2014 Bristol City Centre Talk series should come from John's gospel. In choosing John's gospel for our apologetics talks, it seems we weren't alone. We've since heard of a recent university mission, and a new Tim Keller book 'Encounters with Jesus', both based in John's gospel. And Richard Borgonon's material? A set of one-to-one studies based in... John's gospel. Funny that.

So join us on the evening of 13th June and hear how God has enabled Richard Borgonon to put John's gospel in front of his friends and colleagues, and how Jesus has walked off those pages into their lives. Spaces are limited so please contact me at richard.powell108@gmail.com to reserve a place.