Friday 5 October 2012

Sorry you were out...

Amazon? Aunty Betty? Or maybe it's The Good Book Company?

If only my letterbox were bigger.

But no, I must be patient. It won't be until Saturday before the mystery of the little red card can be resolved. Only then I can get to the Royal Mail collection office. And only then I will be at peace having found out what was 'too big for my letterbox'.

Those little red cards that the postman drops through the door: a simultaneous source of delight and frustration, just enough information to get excited about, but never enough to know what I'm getting excited about!

I must persevere, it won't be long until Saturday and then my patience will be rewarded.

Number Twenty? Seventeen? Or maybe it's Number Fifteen?

Which of my neighbours would I love to get to know better? Who's the neighbour who I just never seem to get the chance to talk to? Who's the neighbour who I started to have a Jesus conversation with at the street party this year, but didn't get the chance to finish? Which neighbour mentioned they love singing carols?

Later this autumn my postman is going to be helping me with all of the above!

The Royal Mail are introducing a service where big stuff that the postman can't deliver can be left with a neighbour. From an Acts 29 perspective, I think the service may work something like this:

• I go on-line and order some stuff that's too big for my letterbox.
• Make sure I arrange delivery for when I know I'm out.
• Postman tries and fails to get big stuff through my small letterbox.
• Postman leaves delivery with neighbour who loves singing carols.
• I go round to neighbour who loves singing carols.
• Have good conversation with neighbour.
• Neighbour loves singing carols and hearing the Good News preached wonderfully on December 16 and/or on December 23 at Emmanuel Westbury.
• Neighbour accepts Jesus as saviour!
• I don't have to wait until Saturday for my parcel!